Monday, October 23, 2006

Would you like fries with that?


Last week was interesting. It was chock-filled with a couple of great--but more not-so-great--occurances I feel the need to share in a play-by-play fashion:

Last Sunday: Did pretty much nothing for most of the morning and afternoon. Saw the kitties at the shelter, gave them their meds. Took my parents to the 99 for their anniversary (I think choosing the 99 is ridiculous, too...but hey--that's what they wanted). It didn't matter anyway; my Dad never lets me pay for any meal, even if it IS an anniversary/birthday/other random day of celebration gift.

Last Monday: Lame. Just took care of some stupid administrative work that I've been putting off for a while now. It really won't serve any purpose and it doesn't matter if I did it or just took all the paperwork and threw it away. Sent away for some grad school information from Harvard Divinity and Tufts. Realized I had no money I wanted to devote to grad school at this point in time. Organized my personal home files. I repeat: lame.

Last Tuesday: Started off the day with fire drill #1 for the week. Really fun considering I didn't bring a coat and the morning was a little chilly. Finished up some award write-ups. These are dreadfully boring and I felt kinda crappy with horrendous allergies most of the day, so the effort I put into them was minimal (I admit). Looked for full and part-time work, as I was thinking of how I'd ultimately like to find a different full-time job soon and since my per diem job really isn't producing any hours, I'd like a steadier part-time gig. Met Jeff for dinner at....yes...the 99. Quite enjoyable time as we actually sat for roughly 4 hours in the restaurant and talked. Kinda forgot about feeling crappy. :)

Last Wednesday: Yet another lame day at work. Was asked to do more award write-ups. Yay. Found out one of my articles would be published in Defense Link News (Pentagon/Dept. of Defense publication). This is a big deal for a measily base journalist, so I'm pretty thrilled. So was my boss. Was then ironically informed by my boss that his boss likely wouldn't renew my contract through no fault of my own (they have no MONEY, you see), which means I need to get my ass in gear and look for a full-time job (something I should be doing right now but have chosen to write this instead) because the chances of my having my old one come December 5th are minimal. How fucking special. I've only been looking/interviewing for a less shitty job for an entire year now without any luck. Now I have a month and a half to find one. I go home at the end of the day and spend hours upon hours looking for and applying to other positions that sound halfway decent. I'm sure as the time gets closer I'll start thinking of waitressing/retail. The concept of that makes me cringe and I cry a little bit.

Last Thursday: Still reeling from lack-of-job notification. Proceed to interview some AF major for some lame-ass article. But really, who cares at this point? Ponder not going and just saying "to hell with it." I go anyway. Get locked out of building for an hour and a half because some sergeant decided to start an anthrax-infestation rumor in our building after finding AJAX ON THE FLOOR OF THE JANITOR'S CLOSET. Real fucking brilliant. I approach some airman about what's going on, to which she promptly screams at me to "get back." Apparently I could be contaminated, too, so I can't go anywhere. What a joke. At least let me back into my building. I'll take my goddamned chances at this point. Eventually realize that leaving this place won't be that bad after all.

Last Friday: Fire drill #2 occurs just as I'm walking into my building at 7:45. Knowing this will be a while, I walk back to my car and go get a tea at Dunks. I shouldn't spend the money considering I'll be unemployed soon, but hey--what the fuck, right? Sat in car, enjoyed tea, listened to my favorite morning radio show until 8:30. Sit at my desk while continuing to realize how badly this place sucks. I loathe the Air Force. I loathe my boss's boss even more. I dream of the day when I actually tell off a general on December 5. No one has the nerve to do that. Except moi. :) Enjoyed another night out with Jeff--definitely lifted my spirits a lot after a rough week.

Last Saturday: Slept in. A lot. I'm too ashamed to admit how late, though. Babysat in the afternoon/evening, since my parents went out with the couples from across the way and SOMEONE had to watch their rugrats so why not have Karen do it? I don't typically like kids a whole lot but these kids were pretty awesome. It was as if I was watching two little adults. The couples returned back at 10-ish, sent the kids to bed, and many of us got drunk (except for my parents). This is the first time my pretty-damn-conservative parents have actually seen me drunk. I'm chuckling again at the thought of it, mainly because I'm 24 and they're still mortified at the thought of my touching liquor.

Yesterday: Hung out with Ry and D. I'm one of those terrible people who has never seen the "Back to the Future" series, so we watched those and ate delicious ravioli and turkey roll-ups. Random meal choices, but ever-so-tasty. Overall a very low-key day--something I so desperately needed.

So yeah. That's it. I'm excited about a few things, and still very depressed about others--namely a prospective period of unemployment. But things could definitely be worse and I'm trying not to feel sorry for myself. I'm still in that relative "funk" I mentioned a few weeks ago...but hey--once I get accustomed to the phrase, "Would you like fries with that?", I'm sure I'll be fine. :)

3 Comments:

At 12:47 PM , Blogger Karen the Great said...

Oh yeah. It's terrible. My general fields are very creative and since creative jobs are typically fun jobs, no one wants to leave them.

Does she volunteer at the Salem Animal Rescue League? I don't think I know her...

 
At 6:34 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Eww. I hate retail. I rather stay in the factory then work retail again.
What about working for a veterinarian hospital for a while? You seem very compassionate with animals & you have experience at the shelters, you would probably be hired quickly there.

 
At 2:37 PM , Blogger Karen the Great said...

Yeah, Kate...I'd want to stay here.

Lana and Karen--I've actually looked into both people hospitals and animal hospitals! No repsonses yet... :(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home