Friday, May 18, 2007

Lt. Andrew Bacevich, thank you.


I don't post many serious things on this blog. Today is an exception.

I work at an Air Force base, as many of you know. Part of working on an air base, especially during wartime, means that you are constantly made aware of men and women dying in the line of duty.

I just stood outside on the side of the road, along with many others, to pay my respects to Army First Lieutenant Andrew Bacevich as his body, and his family, drove past. His remains had been brought to Hanscom Air Field, as he was a native of Walpole, MA.

I've only paid my respects in this fashion twice, as I was not on Base for one reason or another the other few times this has occurred. And despite only doing this twice, I am tired of it. Once is too often.

This is not because I am in opposition of the war. I am actually one of about the four people who actually supports the war in Iraq to this very day. I hate war, but I believe this is one that is necessary. But whether you agree or disagree with the war is not what this is about. This is about my simply being tired of watching kids younger than I am die horrible deaths. I am so exhausted over standing at the side of the road with my hand over my heart and a catch in my throat thinking of how these servicemen and women, who should be at home enjoying life with their wives, husbands, children, girlfriends, boyfriends, family and friends, are instead lying mutilated in a closed casket.

And I hate the motherfuckers that did it to them.

But I am so grateful to these soldiers and to their families for making the ultimate sacrifice.

Not my most eloquent post ever, but I don't know else to say other than that.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home