Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Senator Kerry: disgusting


Kerry: Snow, McCain 'Nut-Jobs' for Criticizing Military Education Comments
By Nathan Burchfiel
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
October 31, 2006


(CNSNews.com) - Raising eyebrows and infuriating conservatives, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) in a speech Monday encouraged young people to get an education or "get stuck in Iraq."

"Education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, and you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well," Kerry told students in Pasadena while campaigning for California gubernatorial candidate Phil Angelides.

"If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq," he added.

The comment set off a firestorm on conservative websites, with some commentators accusing him of "elitism," and of "smearing" the troops by implying that they are uneducated.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz) called on Kerry to apologize Tuesday.

In a statement posted on his political action committee's website, McCain said Kerry "owes an apology to the many thousands of Americans serving in Iraq, who answered their country's call because they are patriots and not because of any deficiencies in their education."

"The suggestion that only the least educated Americans would agree to serve in the military and fight in Iraq, is an insult to every soldier serving in combat," McCain said.

In a statement released Tuesday, Kerry accused White House Press Secretary Tony Snow and "assorted right-wing nut-jobs" of distorting the comments "to divert attention from their disastrous record."

"If anyone thinks a veteran would criticize more than 140,000 heroes serving in Iraq and not the president who got us stuck there, they're crazy," Kerry said. "I'm sick and tired of these despicable Republican attacks that always seem to come from those who never can be found to serve in war, but love to attack those who did."

Snow told a press briefing Tuesday Kerry "not only owes an apology to those who are serving, but also to the families of those who've given their lives in this."

"This is an absolute insult, and I'm a little astonished that he didn't figure it out already." Snow added.

The national commander of the American Legion also called on Kerry to apologize for his comments.

"As a constituent of Senator Kerry's I am disappointed. As leader of The American Legion, I am outraged," said National Commander Paul A. Morin in a statement."

A generation ago, Sen. Kerry slandered his comrades in Vietnam by saying that they were rapists and murderers. It wasn't true then and his warped view of today's heroes isn't true now," said Morin.

"While The American Legion shares the senator's appreciation for education, the troops in Iraq represent the most sophisticated, technologically superior military that the world has ever seen," Morin said. "I think there is a thing or two that they could teach most college professors and campus elitists about the way the world works.

Morin also called on Kerry and "his comrades in Congress" to approve the GI bill "so all of today's military members - reserves and guard included - can achieve the educational aspirations that the senator so highly values."

"The senator's false and outrageous attack was over-the-top and he should apologize now," Morin concluded.


I am going to do my best, at least initially, to put aside the "liberal" and "conservative" comments. Really.

Because this goes beyond politics. Well, at least for a second anyway. :)

I sincerely find this to be one of the most bone-headed remarks of this century. You know, people criticize the President for some of the stupid things he's said over the past few years and well--admittedly, he has indeed said and done some assinine things in his tenure as Commander-in-Chief. This goes without saying.

But despite Bush happily chatting with journalists about "The Google," or choking on pretzels, or being distracted by hanging lighting in the middle of a press conference as a cat would be distracted by a ball of yarn, this Kerry comment takes the cake in the "stupid" column.

First off, I will say this: I half-jokingly make fun of my employer, the Air Force, all the time. I'm pissed that I'm going to be jobless because of moronic senior leadership who make dickheaded decisions and waste money left and right.

But I will also say the following: I am ashamed to have not served in the United States military.

Yeah, you read correctly. I'm ASHAMED of myself.

I wish I could have the same level of respect for myself as I do for those who have served in our military. But I don't.

You know why?

Because my lazy ass went to college instead. I drank beer, ate pizza, guzzled vodka, did the occasional term paper (all while doing nothing but bitching about it the entire time), discussed philisophical jargon, drank more beer, passed out on random people's couches, and oh yeah--drank beer.

And then, even after I graduated college, I didn't enter the military as an officer. No way. Instead, I sat on my ass for a couple of months and finally landed a job as a government contractor doing cushy writing and editing work.

When 9/11 happened, I thought about it. I thought about fighting for my country. But did I do it? Nope.

And a lot of people out there thought about it and didn't do it for their own personal reasons. And believe me--I ain't judgin' anyone for not joining the military. That's your business 110%. That's not what this is about.

But do you know ultimately why I didn't choose to join our Armed Forces?

Because I'm a lazy bastard. That, and perhaps I'm more cowardly than I care to admit. Because I chose to accept that somewhat cushy desk job rather than be willing to get my sorry ass over to Iraq or Afganistan if I were to be ordered to do so.

The people that are in our military deserve a thousand times more respect than they get. But instead, they have some "senator" (and I use that term loosely) making retarded comments that seem to incinuate that fighting for our wonderful country in the Armed Forces is some sort of BAD THING. As if being sent over to Iraq is punishment for being "stupid in school" or not going out and getting a college education.

First off, if I had the nads to join the military, I'd be privileged to fight for this country, despite some of the absolute fucktards that live in it. It's no punishment; it's an honor.

Our servicemen and women, even if they never set foot on foreign soil or shoot a gun at some raving lunatic to save their own lives or the lives of their comrades, sacrifice so much every day to protect us. They are PREPARED to do things we couldn't even comprehend.

And goddamn it, most of the servicemen and women I've encountered are some of the smartest folks I've ever met. I work with engineers, program managers, doctors, nurses, information officers, information technology managers, public affairs officers, lawyers, battle strategists, pilots and acquisition managers at this Base, and they all have a level of knowledge I couldn't gain a fraction of if I did nothing but study for the rest of my days.

These servicemen and women were called, in one way or another, to defend their country in any way they knew how--not because of any sort of deficiency in their education.

Senator Kerry: you may have fought in Vietnam, but you've forgotten, in your elitist senatorial mind, what these folks have sacrificed for you as of recent. If you truly remembered your military days, you wouldn't make such a mentally challenged remark because you would recall all that you sacrificed during those days in Nam.

And then, to make yourself look like less of the shithead that you actually are, you blame the President for the war. Not that Georgie doesn't have his faults, but it disgusts me that you actually made the attempt to sidetrack your own bullshit comment by blaming the people who actually had the balls to call you on how much bullshit it actually was.

Be a fucking MAN. Apologize to the people you, in essence, called stupid, who are actually the bravest, smartest people we will ever know. And then, pull your head out of your ass and thank them for the sacrifices they've made.

I've never had a whole lot of respect for you, Senator Kerry. But now, you just plain disgust me.

3 Comments:

At 2:34 PM , Blogger Karen the Great said...

Lana,

I know. It's super unfortunate that people who have served or who are currently serving in the armed forces aren't more well taken care of and appreciated.

I think if you're willing to fight and die for this country and pose zero threat to it after being honorably discharged (I'm presuming the guy isn't some well-known communist or something who is trying to overthrow the government, LOL), you should automatically be granted citizenship. It's shameful for America that your friend wasn't granted it. Honestly. Absolutely disgusting.

Ry,

Kerry didn't formerly apologize for this remark until yesterday. That's disgusting and inexcusable. You said something wrong, Senator. Whether you meant to say something else or not--you said it and it was stupid. So be a man and apologize for it.

Instead, the sleazy bastard tried to go and blame George Bush/Republicans for it! Are you KIDDING? Agree with the war, disagree with the war--but when you say something stupid all on your own and then go and blame someone else for it who had nothing to do with what you said, I lose all respect for you.

And it really bothers me that people are arguing how poor little John Kerry should be defended. "Well he really MEANT to say THIS!" Who cares? If George Bush meant to say something along the lines of "I absolutely hate how Black people are portrayed in this country" and being the doofus he so often is, accidentally said, "I absolutely hate Black people," he'd be proverbially hung by the Democrats. Nobody can say that the Democrats wouldn't jump on the opportunity to make George Bush look bad, despite Bush's good intentions. Bush would be labeled a bible-thumping racist bastard until his last breath.

If Kerry apologized the next second after making that stupid remark, I could honestly say I'd let it go to a slip of the tongue. If he took full responsibility for saying what he said, instead of trying to blame the Republicans in some twisted, unreasonable way, I'd still think the remark was boneheaded, but would have some level of respect for him for taking responsibility for it entirely on his own. But instead, it's more of a "the Republicans made me say it" mentality with him. I make no excuses for the seedy bastard.

As for his war heroism, yeah--I give credit when credit's due--he served in Nam for a while. But I really think he's seemed to forgotten what these troops have sacrificed for him as of recent, and the thought of it makes me ill.

I have no respect for the bastard and make no apologies.

 
At 3:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bottom line is the guy's speech was meant to be critical of Bush and not the troops. He's given the speech before and releases the text in advance so there's no doubt at all that he wasn't planning on insulting the troops that day. He misspoke. On my blog I actually attacked him the day before for being a pansy and never sticking up for himself when his military experience was degraded by the SwiftBoat Vets for truth. So now of course the moron won't apologize for something he did in fact say but didn't mean, because he doesn't want to get labeled as a chronic apologizer. It's nonsense. I agree. He did insult the troops, without meaning it, and he should have apologized.

I will defend him on that one point, being that he didn't intentionally insult the troops. If you want to argue that he did so by his refusal to apologize, I can agree with that.

 
At 11:17 AM , Blogger Karen the Great said...

As I said before, if he had very quickly responded with, "I didn't intend to say that! I actually meant to say this..." then I'd have some respect for the guy. However,I absolutely LOATHE how he blamed the Republican party for what HE said. He said what he said and many Republicans (and tons of Democrats for that matter!) called him on it afterwards. As soon as they did, he realized what he said and then promptly blamed the Republicans for "pouncing" on the opportunity to point out what he said to make him look bad.

So, let me get this straight. Kerry is attempting to make George Bush and the Republican party look bad about the war or whatever by making a nasty speech/ comment about them. Okay. Fine. Your perrogative, Senator. That's what politics is all about--disagreements and the ability to speak freely about why you disagree. But when he says something positively assinine (whether he meant to say something else or not) and the Republicans say, "Um...John? What the hell was that? That comment was terribly degrading to our troops." they get chastised for making John Kerry look bad?

He's a goddamned hypocrite.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home