Thursday, November 02, 2006

Thank you, welfare system.

The sense of entitlement of this woman is nothing short of astounding.

In 16 months she was unable to find a job to support herself and her child to the point where she can't even afford LOW-INCOME housing? And yes, I know she goes to college. Good for her. Truly. But going to college and getting two degrees in a four year period never stopped me from working almost full-time hours. There's nothing stopping her from getting a part-time job.

How HORRIBLE! The RENT-FREE housing in Roxbury is "cramped!" Here's a fucking thought: deal with it. It's RENT-FREE!!! You don't pay ANYTHING!!!

I just wanted to thank the welfare system yet again (oh, and yes--let's not forget the uber-liberals who believe people like this should be taken care of forever and ever, Amen) for taking money out of my paycheck every month to support scum like this.

Truly. Thank you.

Shelter resident balks at relocating
Refusal to leave ignites debate
By Brian R. Ballou, Globe Staff November 2, 2006

When a YWCA shelter for women in Dorchester closed yesterday, one resident decided to stay. And in holding her ground, she touched off a swarm of activity that swept politicians, housing advocates, Boston's housing court, and others into the fray.

Frankie Cook was a homeless and pregnant teenager when she found out last year about the YWCA-run, nine-unit residence catering to women in her situation. But yesterday, the brown three-decker she has called home for the past 16 months closed because of a budget shortfall. The ASWALOS House on Seaver Street is to be sold soon, organizers said.

Over the past week, six other women who lived in the house relocated to rent-free apartments in Roxbury provided by Nuestra Communidad. But Cook didn't budge, saying the alternate housing on Clarendon Street, offered to her by the YWCA, was cramped.

"I came back, and they asked me what I was doing," Cook said. "I told them I was staying, and they really didn't say anything to me."

Administrators for the YWCA and their lawyers went to Boston Housing Court, where they sought a judge's order to remove Cook and Darmarie DelValle, another single mother who lived at the house. Housing advocates, State Representative Elizabeth A. Malia, Democrat of Boston, Councilman Chuck Turner, and several community activists intervened. On the sidewalk outside the house, approximately a dozen people rallied for Cook and DelValle.

By mid afternoon, a compromise had been reached. Cook and DelValle, both 20, were offered additional storage space on Clarendon Street, and they agreed to move there.

The incident highlighted the tight funding that is squeezing programs serving low-income individuals, Malia said. ASWALOS House operated for 15 years. "This agency has a lot of financial issues," she said, standing outside the house. "The caveat here is that there are a lot of needy people and not a lot of options in Boston. Over the last four years, these programs have lost an incredible amount of funding."

Cook and DelValle said they had flourished at ASWALOS House, where the women were given chores and a curfew. DelValle earned her GED. Cook enrolled in Roxbury Community College to study nursing, making the dean's list her first semester.

Catherine Clark , the director of institutional advancement for YWCA Boston, said the programming for the displaced residents would continue at their new locations. "The sad fact is there is just not enough money to keep this place open.

© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

5 Comments:

At 3:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If she were handcuffed to the couch eating welfare-purchased cheetos refusing to leave, I'd be more comfortable with your "scum" label than if she's a nurse.

I'll agree with you eventually. Keep at it.

 
At 4:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll agree to disagree. We've gone over our differences on welfare before but I have no problem with the state giving you an edge until you get trained and then cut you off, because I think it'll save the state more money in the end. I'd have to reread the article but how is she affording nursing school. Is it possible she's working already and that's going towards her tuition? I have no idea but I'm not willing to start her off at "scum" as she's actually working to better herself, compared to many people on it.

 
At 10:59 AM , Blogger Karen the Great said...

OK, fair enough regarding the "Agree to disagree" comment. However, this is my beef with this woman and people like her (or people who are even worse).

Nowadays, people fail to realize that their choices always have consequences. Typically, if one is to make good choices, they result in good consequences. Likewise, typically if one makes bad choices, they result in bad consequences. No one takes a proper amount of accountability for their actions and simply "expect" a handout from the remainder of society who made better choices in their own lives.

I have no problem with a welfare system, but I sure as hell have an issue with the current one. As I've mentioned before, welfare should be a supplementary system. For example, if this woman worked her butt off, and I'm talking REALLY worked as much as she possibly could while going to school, she could surely afford SOME level of rent. Like I said, she needs low-income housing for a while, I'm all for it. But there seems to be no reason that she would need entirely free housing. In fact, I can think of VERY few cases where ANYONE would need completely free housing.

I don't know, I guess I'm just the type of person who would feel terribly guilty if I didn't take full responsibility for my actions. I highly doubt anyone forced her to get pregnant at 16 with virtually no job prospects, before she finished school. I hate to say it, but I don't feel all that sorry for people who make decisions of that nature and then expect the remainder of society to pay for it--literally. If I needed to, I'd go to school and work the rest of the day just to afford as much of what I needed as I could.

Hell, I'm going to be unemployed in a little while, and I'm doing anything I can not to collect unemployment. You know why? Because I just plain don't feel right not working.

But hey--that's just me I guess. :)

 
At 1:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's fair to expect people to work their butts off for what they get. We've covered this before as well but I think the system should be designed around the single parent who suddenly is thrust into a situation where they lose a huge percentage of their income and maybe can't afford to work 90 hours a week to make ends meet. I'm not talking about someone who gets pregnant at sixteen and feels like they're owned a handout. I'm talking about someone, for example, who is forced to leave her husband due to domestic abuse and has a young child she needs to take care of. If that person puts in effort into her education to become a nurse and is still able to work and needs government help for say, two years, before they can make it on their own, I'd consider that a bargain versus years of welfare checks. Not saying that's the situation here, but there are real life circumstances where people, unlike yourself, aren't able to go work at Kohls sixty hours a week during tough times. Comparatively speaking, this is a good time in your life for this to happen versus fifteen years down the road, you know?

 
At 2:39 PM , Blogger Karen the Great said...

What you're saying is that welfare hsould be a supplemental system. What I'm saying is that I have no issues with that.

But for some reason, I would think that the Globe, being in fact a lbieral publication, would have indicated whether or not this woman was working at all--even 10 hours a week. I would think that since this is largely a liberal issue, they would want to paint her in as good of a light as possible. But it was never even mentioned at all and I presume that this means she is not working. If she were working at least some amount of reasonable hours, she could at least afford low-income housing.

As I've mentioned before, I am all for welfare becomnig a supplemental system. If this woman can honestly ONLY work 30 hours while going to school (and it CAN be done) and as a result, can only afford her electric bill, food and heat--but no rent bill--I have no issues whatsoever with providing that for her for a limited time until she finished school and could afford it all after obtianing a good nursing job.

But this woman--and so many like her--want a damn handout, a COMPLETE handout, if possible.

When a roof is provided to you and your child, under reasonable circumstances (aka, it may not be the nicest place, but is at least safe), you DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. Period. You are grateful for what your fellow taxpayers--who didn't get themselves in the same situation you did and work 40, 50, 60+ hours a week--provide to you for no contribution at all to society. You shut up and deal with the fact that you may not have a ton of space, but that you're not out in the cold.

Anyone who knows me knows full well that I am 100% for helping people out, on a limited basis and when they are working as hard as they reasonably can. But the fact that my tax money is going to people like this woman aboslute disgusts me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home