Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Politics.

I am so sick and tired of politics.

I don't know why this has crossed my mind today, at this particular point in time, but I am so disgusted with the way of this country in terms of its political ideologies that I am thisclose to giving up on the notion of politics altogether.

I am not a fan of George Bush, despite being a registered Republican. However, I did vote for him in both elections. You know why? Because the other options sucked even more ass than George does. By far. I typically agree less with many so-called "liberal" agendas than I do with "conservative" ones. But that is beside the point.

My point is as follows: when did people stop making sense? I listen to these politicians go on and on, making bullshit promises that they have no intention of keeping because they either don't have the funding for or the power to execute these pledges to their communities.

This is an inclusive statement towards Republicans and Democrats alike. I believe too many people have been too dissatisfied with the state of the union and of the world under both parties. Morally, I found Bill Clinton to be a disgraceful individual and I certainly didn't agree with many of his political policies. As for George Bush, I believe the man thinks he's doing the right thing with regard to the war in the Middle East, yet I believe he's become so focused on it that he has refused to even listen to other people offering advice on how to better go about the situation. As a result of the war, he has neglected our own country in too many ways.

(As a side note, I am one of the few people out there who feels the war is justified and valid and that the media focuses solely on the bad rather than all the good that is coming about over there. I work for the military and know many folks who have been over there and have said that the vast majority of Afghan and Iraqi people extremely grateful to their American "liberators." I've heard of many successes that have come about as a result of this conflict. However, I do think that there are considerably better ways to go about this situation and that Mr. Bush has made numerous mistakes in it. But this is another ballgame altogether).

I became sidetracked. My apologies.

When did it become permissible to vote for the "lesser of two evils?" I am disgusted at myself because I am guilty of doing so. I typically would never endorse a person or thing if I didn't hold it in high esteem. Why don't I do the same with voting for the president of the Free World, or the governor of the fair state of New Hampshire?

The options continuously suck, perhaps because of the moral decline of America, where we feel that lying and cheating the system are permittable in certain instances. Or perhaps they continuously suck because people are becoming more lazy and less educated on what we SHOULD be getting in a decent politician ("decent politician"...nearly impossible to find in our society). I don't know for sure.

I was a political science major for two years in college, before I decided to switch my second major over to philosophy. The reason I switched? I was still interested in the political process/terminology, but gradually became less concerned with becoming involved with a field where many participants (politcians) have become so disinclined to tell the truth and do the right thing.

The last paragraph was not intended to insult anyone who enjoys/studies the field; quite the contrary, as a matter of fact. I am hoping that Generation Y will be more concerned with the welfare of this nation and of the world to actually make a significant difference in it. I am hoping that one day, our generation and future generations will introduce ethical, common-sense policians as the new norm. I commend you for sticking with a particular field of study that you hope to change for the better. I wish I could have done the same.

I, however, have given up on politics for the most part. I have given up, at least for now, the notion that decent politicians are out there. Well, I'm sure there are some, but they consist of such a minority that they fail to really be heard.

I have friends who would love to discuss politics with me and are truly interested in the field. I wish wholeheartedly that I could stay I'm still interested in it, too. However, I've become so frustrated with scummy senators who cheat us regular folks just to get an extra buck. I've become so disenchanted with presidents, who should be morally upright individuals, getting their dicks sucked in the oval office while their wives are in the other room. I've become so reluctant to trust people who refuse to listen to a voice of reason in some lame attempt to prove they're right when they're so obviously wrong. And when I discuss politics with folks, I can't seem to help but think of all those politicians who have led me to become so enraged with modern politics as it is right now.

I truly am sorry I can't talk much with y'all about it on a more regular basis. But until politicians become less greedy, use more common-sense, and treat people with decency, I don't see my mind changing anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home